Friday, July 27, 2007

Not That I'm About Preventing Liberties But...

I was reading news from a newspaper today, which I admit was medieval of me, when I came across an article about baby names. It had been inspired by "celebrity couple" Jordan and Peter Andre's latest urchin and future crack addict, that they had chosen to name Princess Tiaamii. Special. The article consisted of an interview with Pamela Redmond Satran, author of The Brilliant Book of Baby Names. It was the usual stuff;

Do you think the pretense and predetermined ridicule these names force upon children will ultimately lead to their gin-addled demise?
Most definately.

But then I read something that made my very heart cheer!

Is it true some countries have rules on what you can name your child?
Yes. The trend for unusual names is only in America and the UK where you are free to pick whatever name you like. In France the law prevents you choosing a name that will make your child "a subject of ridicule". It's a law introduced by Napoleon, perhaps because he was touchy about his own name. Recently a couple wanted to call their child Prune but the local mayor ruled it couldn't be allowed.

Common sense prevails! In France of all places? I say this because ridiculous baby names is a subject that plagues my everyday existence. I work in school admissions for the council, which means approximately 20,000 children's names pass by my eyes per annum and I can guarantee finding one total fucktard of a name each and every day, and I have to take a moment to contemplate that unfortunate child's miserable morrow. Today's name was Jerry Berry.

6 comments:

Born Worrier said...

I feel so sorry for poor Jerry Berry. I went to school with some unfortunate sole who had the first name of Orvil. Heaven knows what became of him.

Muffy St Jacques said...

Orvil? Wow. I should think he ended up no place good.

Prophecy Girl said...

Why, again, is Jordan famous? I know who she is but I can't for the life of me think why...

Orvil is no good except in the case of popcorn entrepreneur Orville Reden bacher. There's no touching that name after a popcorn empire was launched under it. The worst name I've ever heard of was "Shithead" pronounced shi-theed, although that might be an urban legend. Long live freedom of choice!

Muffy St Jacques said...

Jordan is famous because she has big boobs and used to get them out lots. Now she's famous for being famous and being a general tard.

Another tidbit from the article, courtsey of the American deep south. Someone in Alabama just registered their child as 'Good Horsey'. No shitting.

Prophecy Girl said...

Of course it would have to be in a state bordering mine...

Sophie said...

I am friends with one Barry Beard. His parents must have thought Beard is bad enough as a surname so why not go ahead and properly finish it off?

He had a girlfriend called Iona for a long while but she ended it when things got serious. Can't think why!